Subject: Re: Netboot SS4 and install NetBSD -- Success!
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/14/2000 15:30:00
On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Robert Gash wrote:
>
> > PS- Tip for the wise: create a /kern directory on your NFS root before you
> > boot your machine as it appears that NetBSD can't detect your HD devices
> > if /kern dosen't exsist.
>
> 	This seems bizarre - I can understand if fstab tries to mount
> 	/kern it will fail to mount it, and leave yu in single user
> 	mode, but it will definitely not affect the detection of any
> 	devices...

I remember this, too.  I thing the installer tries to grok your mass
storage by grepping /kern/msgbuf or such...

I don't think I ever spoke up about it because I've run into similar
things with other stuff in the past... perhaps it's something that should
be verified and potentially fixed.

-Jon
 "Can you count my penny?" | NetBSD on i386, Alpha, VAX, NeXT, SPARC,
 "One!"                    | Mac68k, and hopefully more...