Subject: Re: port-sparc/9383: kernel configs for SUN4, SUN4C, SUN4M
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@digital.clock.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@mono.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/10/2000 01:30:02
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> 	I suggest that, at minimum, we provide configs for SUN4,
> 	SUN4C, and SUN4M with support for devices that can run on
> 	that hardware.
>
> 	We might also want to provide specific kernel configs for
> 	the models of SPARCs that cannot be expanded, e.g. the SLC
> 	and ELC, since that should be a single-shot exercise.

	I wrote a small Makefile and awk script to help automate this
	a little while back:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming/abs/kernel-config-split/

	SLC/ELC are not one shot as they would still have to be updated
	as new pseudo devices, protocols, and potentially scsi devices
	are added (though I agree they would be nice).

The README is included below - what do people think?

        A common request is for standard kernel configs for specific machine
	types eg: for sparc 'sun4m' vs 'sun4c' vs 'sun4', or for the i386
	'eisa' vs 'pci', vs 'pcmcia', vs appropriate combinations.

        sys/arch/amiga/conf generates a DRACO config using cpp, but this
        makes the GENERIC config file a little harder to follow.

        I've come up with using '>xxx' tags in comments, and a small awk
        script.

        Essentially any line without a >xxx tag is always passed.
        Any line with any >xxx tag, must contain one of the desired tags.

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming/abs/kernel-config/

	    GENERIC         - Updated GENERIC file
	    GENERIC.diff    - diffs from current GENERIC
	    Makefile        - Makefile to generate SUN4 SUN4C and SUN4M
	    split.awk       - Script to do the work
	    SUN4            - Generated using tag:  sun4
	    SUN4C           - Generated using tags: sun4c,sbus
	    SUN4M           - Generated using tags: sun4m,sbus

	As a more enthusiastic option you can specify a +tag which affects
	all previous tags:
	eg: sun4c,sbus,+fb -> sun4c, sbus, sun4c+fb, sbus+fb, fb

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming/abs/kernel-config2/

	    GENERIC         - Updated GENERIC file
	    GENERIC.diff    - diffs from current GENERIC
	    Makefile        - Makefile to generate SUN4{,C,M}{,_NOFB}
	    splitconfig.awk - Version with +tag support
	    SUN4            - Generated using tags: sun4,+fb
	    SUN4C           - Generated using tags: sun4c,sbus,+fb
	    SUN4M           - Generated using tags: sun4m,sbus,+fb
	    SUN4_NOFB       - Generated using tag:  sun4
	    SUN4C_NOFB      - Generated using tags: sun4c,sbus
	    SUN4M_NOFB      - Generated using tags: sun4m,sbus

        a) I'd prefer to put split.awk somewhere MI - any problems with
           /sys/conf/splitconfig.awk ?
	b) We cannot do this with 'explicit orphaning' (though I think
	   that would be a good feature), as we need to be able to exclude
	   CPU support (SUN4M etc).

							Thu Feb 10 2000
							abs@netbsd.org