Subject: Re: HME stuff
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: James Sharp <jsharp@psychoses.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/09/2000 15:33:22
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Paul Kranenburg wrote:

> > I've been testing & playing with the hme support in -current.  I can get
> > the card to work at 10Mbps, but not at 100mbps.
>
> So, what's the media status reported by ifconfig(8)?  Where did you
> connect the cable to, the internal transceiver or the MII port, or both?

Here's what I did....

Connected the card to a 10/100 device via the internal transciever.  I
don't have an MII transciever to test with.

Set hme0 to media auto.  It autonegotiated to 100mbps along with the other
10/100 device.  ifconfig reported the interface to be active at 100mbps
full duplex.  At this point I couldn't ping the other box...there was an
incomplete arp request on the Sparc, but there was a full arp entry for
the Sparc in the remote box.

Set hme0 to media 10BaseT.  The remote box renegotiated down to 10mbps.
I could then ping the remote box.

Set hme0 to media 100BaseTX.  syslog reported that the hme card switched
to 100BaseTX, but the remote box did not neogiate back to 100Mbps (it
normally does with other 10/100 equipment).  ifconfig reported the
interface to be "no carrier".