Subject: Re: Sun 4/4xx support?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/09/2000 12:13:41
> >> I've been looking for a free Unix to run on my SPARCserver 4/470.
> >> - Will NetBSD run on a 4/4xx? (I notice the FAQ doesn't mention it)
>
> Quite some time ago, I tried NetBSD/sparc on a SPARCserver 470.  It
> failed; as I recall, the MMU is different and the code to support it
> didn't work right at the time.  (ISTR something about "options MMU_3L"
> (the 470's MMU apparently has three levels of tables) in the kernel
> config, but I also recall the option changing names, and that may be
> the old name.)

Just one look at the GENERIC configuration file would have revealed
that the kernel option is named SUN4_MMU3L.

When I last had a chance to try a kernel on a 4/400 class machine,
it did in fact boot Ok and came up multi-user. However, it did
panic somewhere in the pmap code after a couple of minutes.

So, any volunteers that can be tricked into debugging this further?

-pk