Subject: Re: crash: installation with serial console
To: Reinhard Foerster <rf11@inf.tu-dresden.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/05/2000 16:16:41
On Sat, 5 Feb 2000, Reinhard Foerster wrote:

> I tried to install NetBSD-1.4.1 on a SPARCstation LX with console on
> serial port A. If i boot the kernel from a floppy (boot-141.fs) i get
> a kernel panic.
> The machine itself seems to be OK - no problems with Solaris/Linux.
> It has a MicroSPARC-I (TMX390510TBBL) and a pair of 32MB SIMMS in bank
> A.
> Is there anything I can do?

At the debugger prompt, you could type `trace' or just `t' to find out
what was going on when things blew up.

The `data fault' does smack a little of a hardware problem, to my eye.
Does it break in the same place every time you try it?

I just booted boot-141.fs on my Sparc Classic (actually a converted
SPARCclassic X) and it came up fine. I'm using four 64 MB SIMMs in the
box, though, and this was on the graphics display.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org