Subject: Re: New Boot Load Doesn't Work on IPX
To: James Graham <greywolf@captech.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/28/2000 22:19:04
> Yes.  Why aren't we loading the bootloader low, and then loading
> the INSTALL kernel _just above_ the bootloader?

I would imagine because the full bootloader is "too big" and we neither want
to waste the space it occupies nor do we want to memmove() the kernel just
before transferring control to it.

Perhaps the bootloader can size the kernel before loading it? Then it could
pick a good spot for itself and relocate there, download the kernel, then
jump to it.

A classic PIC application that has little/nothing to do with shared libs.

In this case we also want to use PID and small-data-area. Embedded systems
people do this sort of thing all the time to save space or to implement
expansion ROM sockets.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com