Subject: Re: IPX 501-2015 and IP-NAT
To: Tom Uban <uban@ubanproductions.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/28/2000 18:37:05
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Tom Uban wrote:

> I am running NetBSD 1.4.1 on an IPX with an additional 501-2015 ethernet
> card. I am using the machine for a firewall and connect the primary ethernet
> to an ADSL line (with one fixed IP address) and the 2015 to my local area
> network. I use ipnat to allow a number of Windows98 PCs talk to the net
> through the firewall.
>
> My problem is that this all worked fine for quite a while and then one
> day, some transfers between the PCs and the IPX (over the 2015 ipnat
> interface) began to hang. The transfers (ftp, pop, etc) that hang seem
> to be more related to the data content than the size. I figured that the
> problem must be the 2015, so I replaced the board. Bingo, the problem
> went away for a couple of days. Now the problem is back. Just rebooting
> (with or without power cycle) doesn't seem to affect the behavior.

> Any ideas?
only some questionable ones.....

Are you 100% sure all the network cabling is ok?  Is this thinnet?  If so,
you're sure its all 50 ohm cable (not 75 ohm video cable or wacky 93 ohm
ultrasound crap)?  Properly terminated?

I ask all this because I had some flaky network stuff (A & B talk ok, B &
C talk ok, A & C dont...) due to some mismatched cables once.

-Dan