Subject: Re: New Boot Load Doesn't Work on IPX
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/27/2000 21:51:48
On Thu Jan 27 2000 at 13:58:10 -0500, Curt Sampson wrote:

> I've finally figured out the reason my IPX will no longer boot; the
> current boot loader doesn't work on it. Whether loaded from the network
> or the hard disk, it produces a `Data Access Exception' error message. An
> old 1.3 boot loader works fine.
>
> Anybody got a fix for this? I'd hate to drop Sun4c support in 1.5....

Hmmh, I haven't been following this discussion (has there even been
one?) very actively, but here are my observations.

I installed the 1223 snapshot on a IPX a few weeks ago, I had no
problems whatsoever booting it.

When I installed the 1024(?) snapshot on a SS2 a few months ago, I
remember having some problems with the bootblocks. For some odd reason I
couldn't use the snapshot bootfloppy, I'm not dead sure it was `Data
Access Exception', so don't quote me on that. I'm not sure how I
actually worked around the problem, but it included a 1.4 bootfloppy and
lots of naughty words. But when I finally managed to build & install the
very latest bootblocks my troubles with booting that baby were over.

So perhaps you should try the very latest bootblocks, unless you already
have them.

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>