Subject: Re: 3/80 esp problem?
To: Michael Lorenz <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/22/2000 17:35:20
> Hmm, maybe off topic or irrelevant but Quantum and SCSI rang a bell - my
> hp300 doesn't like any Quantum harddisk I rried ( several Lightning
> models ) because the BootPROM used very restrictive timing parameters,
> so the bus scan simply didn't find them because the detection timed out.
> Strangely a SCSI ZIP seems to have no problem so I boot my hp300 from a
> ZIP...

There are problems booting some newer Quantum models on Atari's because the
Quantum disks required either initiator identification or bus arbitration
(can't remember which) and this isn't supported by the boot code (which is
in ROM).  Thus, it's not possible to boot an Atari from one of these disks.
I wonder if the HP bootcode is similar.  Don't know if this also applies to
Sun3's and early Sparc's.  I don't have any new Quantum disk to try.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/