Subject: re: bpp and lvpi
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/18/2000 12:48:02
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> There was a pretty key difference in the NeXT case -- the NeXT used
> PostScript for *everything*, including the display.  So, no "extra" work
> was necessary to render the image for the printer.

  Well, you still had to re-run the Postscript (by calling the draw: methods
of the relevant NSView subclasses) to render the bitmap again at 400DPI or
whatever you had the printer set to.  But I think that the main issue was that
since they had PS happening all over they worked very hard to ensure that it
was quick.  For some reason it seems that NeWS never had that level of
performance tuning.
  That's likely why SPARCprinter users who drive it via Ghostview find it
reasonable.

> Unfortunately, the NeXT printers have their problems, too (let's hear it
> for plastic gears!),

  Ugh.  Yes, Cannon really screwed the pooch on that one.

> and you can't exactly use a different printer on a
> NeXT :-)

  You can convince it to spew Postscript out a serial port easily enough.

--
David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie                      http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/