Subject: Re: supported hardware?
To: None <hth@lentus.se>
From: David C. Myers <myers@iname.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/12/2000 08:02:02
> 3. Attach a SCSI CD writer.  I do not own one, and have not a clue
>    what makes it different from an ordinary disk?  Do I need some
>    special software to produce an image or a special device or what?

'cdrecord' is what you want.  Great program, and coincidentally written
by Joerg Schilling, the same fellow who wrote the Solaris SCSI driver
you mention below in question #4.  You won't need anything special;
cdrecord will recognize CD devices that are writeable.

I take that back.  You'll need 'mkisofs'.  That's the premastering
program that creates an image file in ISO 9660 format.

Schilling's home page is:
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

> 4. Attach a film scanner (probably a Nikon) using SANE.  I have used
>    a borrowed Nikon scanner on an ELC running Solaris and there were a
>    special SCSI-direct device needed.  Is SCSI direct supported by
>    NetBSD/sparc?

Supposedly, SANE should work with either the unknown SCSI device 'uk0'
or the SCSI scanner device 'ss0', so put those in your kernel config
file.  You won't need anything like the 'scg' driver under Solaris.

Having said that, I was unable to get my scanner to work correctly under
SANE, but I only fiddled with it for an hour or so.  If you are
successful, you might post a message.

Marginally related question: Is anybody looking at porting the SCSI CAM
framework developed by the FreeBSD folks?

-David.