Subject: Re: 8548 (Xsun Dumps core ..)
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu, Graham.K.Jenkins@corpmail.telstra.com.au>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/06/2000 14:47:27
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> oops, and apologies for not adding the answer about -O and -O2 sooner to
> the PR.  When I tried that I got:

	No worries - ccing this to gnats-bugs so the thread should be
	added to the PR.

> I have also tried removing the -O2 to see if
>   1) bt works better in the debugger
>   2) Xsun works better (maybe an optimization bug?)
>
> and the result is
>   1) Xsun no longer crashes (yay)
>   2) Xsun no longer works right :(
>
> When I run Xsun that is compiled without -O or -O2, it starts and sort of
> works, but the screen is messed up.  Visually it looks like pixels that
> should be written to one part of the screen end up getting written to
> another part of a screen.  I can pull up windows and see parts of them,
> but other parts dont look right and when I move one around I get weird
> artifacts that show up on other parts of the screen (and stay there).  Its
> a bit hard to describe any better with words.

	I know its a pain, but would it be possible to try compiling
	different parts of Xsun with and without optimisation (maybe
	libraries one way, and Xsun theother), to try to tack down which
	files are affected?

		David/absolute