Subject: Re: X / XFree86
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/04/2000 11:57:27
> Which part don't you understand?  It was (and is) my understanding that
> pkgsrc X is basically XFree86.  XFree86 is basically Intel-specific
> (witness the very name).

How much have you looked at XFree86?  I haven't really looked at it in
quite a while, but when I last looked at it, it was basically X11R6.x
with a lot of changes under xc/programs/Xserver/hw/i386 (or whatever).
The sun, dec, apple, etc. directories were basically unchanged and still
usable--all of the i386 stuff was pretty much isolated.

This is not particularly useful in light of the fact that we now want
some of the "i386-specific" parts (support for PCI cards) on non-i386
hardware.  That's been the subject of some discussion in port-alpha
recently and will be of interest to (at least) sparc, macppc, and alpha.

The name is certainly misleading in some senses, but it is being
actively maintained and enhanced by a largish number of people.

-allen