Subject: Re: Problem with Second NIC in Sparc Classic
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Hodge <jhodge@biglizard.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/03/2000 03:48:21
On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Damian McGuckin wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Mailing List Recpient wrote:
>
> > an ifconfig le1 up leaves the following in the dmesg buffer;
> >
> > le0 at ledma0 slot 4 offset 0x8c00000 level 6: address 08:00:20:04:ae:ce
> > le0: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers
> > le1 at sbus0 slot 1 offset 0xc00000 level 7: address 08:00:20:04:ae:ce
> > le1: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers
>
> I could be very wrong but shouldn't the actual MAC addresses for the 2
> cards be different?  Isn't that the first place to start.

Actually. no.  On the Sparc systems (at least on the 4m architecture, I
don't own any others) there is one MAC address per system shared by all of
the interfaces.  The idea is that each interface connect to different
network, so sharing a MAC address is no problem.  I believe that the MAC
address is actually sotred in the system PROM and not on the card at all.

Joe
jhodge@biglizard.net