Subject: SUNW,bpp documentation?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@paclink.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/29/1999 23:13:18
Can anyone tell me what state the SUNW,bpp driver is in?  I just
hooked up a color printer to mine, and have had a few problems so
far...

First, MAKEDEV needs a few tweeks, so it knows about device 107
(as opposed to 101 which is the magma driver).

Next, when I do something trivial like "ls > /dev/bpp" the command
never finishes, and the printer starts flashing it's little light
like it's processing data, but it never prints anything out, and
it never stops blinking...

Third, the driver is unidirectional, which should work fine for
the printer, but I thought it might be nice to be able to run PLIP
though it, to give me a little more bandwidth than (oh, let's say)
a 38.4Kb serial port.  (No Ethernet on the other beastie...)

Now I don't muck around in the kernel much, in fact it took me a
reasonable amount of time to figure out that it was major 107, and
if it's not, then I obviously have even more to learn!  I figure
I could fix problem 1, although I would probably upset anyone using
the magma driver when I rename it to mbpp so I can use bpp. 8-)
The others might be tougher for me, but you don't learn if you
don't try.

Hence my questions: Have I accurately determined the current state
of the driver?  And does anyone have any documentation on the
hardware, should I need to attempt other changes?  (This is all
for a Sparcstation LX BTW.)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long winded exposition,
Jon