Subject: Re: anyone used options SOFTDEP on the sparc yet?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@Norway.EU.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/17/1999 08:18:15
matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au> writes:

> has anyone tried out softdep on the sparc?  i've twice now built a
> kernel (from todays, and about 2 weeks's ago's sources) and when i
> attempted to boot a kernel with `options SOFTDEP' (but nothing in
> my filesystems changed!), it seems to reliably crash doing a chmod()
> operation.

I've tried to get this going on my SS2, using a source tree from this
tuesday (or was it wednesday?), adding only SOFTDEP and CODA to my old
configuration (from 1.4K), and it crashes during startup with a "trap
type 7" in named (when ntpdate wants to set the time, and my caching
named tries to find the needed addresses for the ntp servers).  I
haven't had time to try without the two added options, but will do so,
hopefully tonight.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"