Subject: Re: how far has the sb3 work come?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/26/1999 20:50:20
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, der Mouse wrote:

# >> 32/24-bit color on the LCD
# > nope.  That would mean writing from X ddx code.  Yuck!
#
# Doesn't Xsun already support 24-bit colour?  Certainly R6.3 builds an
# Xsun24 server executable.

X11R6.3 does not support Sun 24-bit colour (look at the X manual page).
There are no 24-bit frame-buffers listed there under the supported
hardware list...unless the page is woefully out of date.  I'd be
ecstatic to be corrected.

The other problem is that NetBSD does not support any of the 24-bit
Sun frame buffers except in 8-bit mode.  With the advent of the opening
of the door to that hardware I am hoping this will change sometime
in the next six months...

#
# Or is the framebuffer not accessible as simple video RAM + colormap?

You don't need a colourmap for 24bpp, do you?  I thought it was direct
addressing/coloring.

The thing I want to know is how do they get 24bpp on 1280x1024 with only
6MB on the video card?!?

#
# 					der Mouse
#
# 			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
# 		     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B
#

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Agnostics in the Platform Religious Wars.