Subject: Re: arch/sparc64 mandatory for sun4c?
To: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/25/1999 13:37:38

> 	Install both sparc and sparc64 kernel header files on all
> 	machines and build unified kvm grovellers.
>
> The last one sounds easiest, with the most benefits and least risks.
>
> If having a dozen extra files in /usr/include bothers you, you can
> simply `rm -rf /usr/include/sparc64' (unless you want to build a kvm
> groveller.)

The problem is not the presence of the sparc64 header files, but rather
that the change in arch/Makefile tricks a sparc into starting a build
of the sparc64 bootblocks.  This wouldn't be too bad, if only that
build would use the sparc64 headers just installed... (actually, it
should be including directly from the sparc64 kernel sources).

In general however, I would argue that if a particular MACHINE_ARCH
family shares userland programs, it should also share a common set
of header files that are used to build them.  Header files that
contain MACHINE-specific architecture details should be hidden
from accidental visibility by not installing them under `/usr/include'

The need for kvm functions to know about different architectures
can be (I hope...) handled by including a `discriminator' in the
data structures visible to userland (e.g. kcore.h).

-pk