Subject: Re: SMP
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/24/1999 10:11:45
On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 11:40:16PM -0800, Greywolf wrote:

> I'm certainly not targeting Ross on this issue -- at least not
> intentionally.  I'm just a bit restless at the tease of SMP over
> a year ago and then...nothing.  It'd be especially frustrating if
> after all this time there is nothing to show for the time waited,
> because that means that we've wasted fifteen months (almost) of
> potential development time.  We could have at least a bashable
> prototype by now, I'm sure.

There seems to be (or have been) a curse on SMP work. Several people
who embarked on prevous projects dropped the ball, or the work
sort of vanished without anyone knowing why, except the people who
were going to do it I guess.

I couldn't agree more that this is very frustrating, especially because
we lost too much damn time this way. But yes, Ross has stepped up
and is working on it. I hope The Curse doesn't get to him... Hopefully
we'll be able to tell you more in the near future.

Anyway, if you want to discuss SMP, this thread should be moved
to tech-smp.

- Frank