Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.4/sparc miniroot panics
To: grntiger <grntiger@io.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/24/1999 00:41:05
> I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.4/sparc. I FTP'ed the gzipped
> miniroot.  On my SLC [it] got as far as enumerating devices, then
> crashed immediately after finding the floppy controller [...]

> I moved the same disk over to a 4/200.  It gets as far as probing the
> SCSI bus and finding the disk before panicing with the same problem.

> It's really weird for two machines to panic with the same problem
> unless the problem is in the miniroot.

Right.  I know for a time there was a problem with the floppy driver,
such that attempting to boot a kernel with floppy configured in it, on
a machine with no floppy hardware, produced a panic.

I suspect you're hitting this.  If you have a machine with a floppy
drive, you might try it.  Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what to
suggest, short of installing a different snapshot long enough to build
a kernel sans floppy.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca