Subject: Weird stuff with serial console when loosing the console
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/19/1999 22:30:58
I have my standard SPARCstation 2 with boot prom 2.4.1, and am running
NetBSD 1.4 on it.

I am using a serial console on ttya, and the terminal is a 386SX/20
booting MS-Kermit off floppy.

If I boot up my ss2 with the PC turned off, then NetBSD breaks into
the boot monitor when it comes up with the login prompt.
When I connect to the ss2 on the console port again, and then type
go, I am back at the login prompt.

I am not sure that this is a sensible thing, as this means that I
cannot get my ss2 up and running as a server without a console.

So, to experiment some further, I switched off my PC console after
getting back to the login prompt, and the switched it back on.

As expected I was back in the ok prompt, but this time I was not
able to get back to NetBSD. When I type go at the prompt I get:
ok go
Trap # (hex) 80
ok go
Trap # (hex) 80
etc.

So, then I tried a sync, and this is the result:
panic: PROM sync command
syncing disks... done
Frame pointer is at 0xeffff588
Call traceback:
 pc = 0xf0191e9c  args ....

dumping to dev 7,1 offset 143967
dump Data Access Exception
ok

Well, I guess that the sync command is not compatible with NetBSD or
vice versa, but it sure would be nice if it was.

Is this something that I should do a send-pr on?

TIA!

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/