Subject: re: le/esp sbus cards
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/18/1999 00:15:37
[One message]

>> dma1 at sbus0 slot 1 offset 0x100000: rev 1+
>> esp1 at sbus0 slot 1 offset 0x200000 level 3: ESP200, 40MHz, SCSI ID 7
>> scsibus1 at esp1: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
>> le1 at sbus0 slot 1 offset 0x300000 level 5: address 08:00:20:0d:5b:8c
>> le1: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers

> huh. that looks unlike any other card i've seen.  fast scsi but no
> lebuffer?

What can I say, that's what dmesg says... :)  And telling the PROM
"cd /sbus" and "ls" concurs: dma, esp, le, no lebuffer.

> oh well, nevermind...at least you get to have 10MB/sec scsi now ;-)

Except the machine's disk is internal, and the Artecon card has no
internal SCSI connector. :-)  For what that machine is going to be
doing, though, fast SCSI is more or less unnecessary; the only reason
for having it is that when I went looking for cheap SBus Ethernet
cards, they turned out to come with SCSI interfaces on them. :-)

[Another message]

> Artecon stuff was often rebadged Sun gear, and probably always
> rebadged gear of some kind, so it's surprising that the le/esp card
> is behaving strangely.

Perhaps a more detailed description is in order.

I actually have two cards.  They appear identical to software, though a
few details of the markings are, as I recall, different; this
description describes the one that's not currently in a machine. :-)

The card is a normal single-SBus-slot form-factor.  The back panel has
a SCSI-2 connector (the same connector as the built-in SCSI on the 1+
and IPX and SLC and several other machines) and a funny connector I've
never seen before for the network - it looks a bit like a DB-15,
shrunken by a factor of maybe 2 to 2.5 and with all the pins having
undergone a bizarre semi-sex-change.  The connector body looks like a
female connector body; where each pin's socket would be on a normal
female connector, though, is a well within which a pin sits.  The
mating connector has small hollow metallic cylinders that fit into the
wells and connect to those pins.  Each card came with two adaptor
cables, one from that connector to 10baseT and one from that connector
to AUI (DB-15).

There is a bank of six jumpers which switch it between 10baseT and AUI;
confusingly, plugging either cable in causes the appropriate lights to
go on (link for 10baseT and transceiver power for AUI), regardless of
the position of those jumpers, but it doesn't actually work
(transmit/receive packets) unless the jumper bank is in the correct
position for the cable in use.

There are four major surface-mount chips:

- One labeled with an LSI logo and the text

	L64853AQC
	SPARC DMA+
	WK59973P
	NNG 9419
	0A84C8 PE FAA
	HONG KONG

  On the line after "NNG 9419" are two symbols I cannot represent in
  ASCII; the first is a triangle looking rather like a capital Greek
  delta and the other is the letters "SG" in a circle.

  This chip is near the SBus connector, and it has many (~100) pins.

- A smallish (~35 pin) chip whose markings cannot be read because it
  carries a sticker large enough to almost completely cover the top.
  The sticker reads

	  U2
	C7FBB

  Barely visible at the top left, not covered by the sticker, is an AMD
  logo.

- A chip with the AMD logo bearing the number AM79C90JC.  Presumably
  this is the Ethernet. :-)

- A chip with the Emulex logo and name, bearing further the text

	2400092
	FAS101
	A 9313HDC
	9313

  Presumably this is the ESP200.

There's also a DIP with the AMD logo and the number AM7992BDC and
another with the AMD logo and the number AM79C98PC/B.

Silk-screened on the component side I find, besides component
identification markings, and in no particular order,

	© 1993 ARTECON, INC.

	LE/ESP

	MADE IN USA

	S/N [white blob here, on which is handwritten 1008940044]

	ASSY NO. 43-0100111 [blank white blob] REV [blank white blob]

On the foil side, there are two stickers, one bearing a handwritten
"245 0109 0256" and the other a printed "5992322".  Silk-screened on is
a logo formed from the letters PT in a circle, with a 3 in a subscript
position outside it; following this is "9321" in a seven-stroke font,
presumably a datecode.  As part of the etched foil is the text
"P/N 43-01001110 REV 1.0".

That's all I see that looks at all identificatory.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca