Subject: Re: Sparc IPX: savecore: reboot after panic: alignment fault
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/14/1999 14:39:05
> savecore: reboot after panic: alignment fault
> savecore: system went down at Fri Nov 12 03:35:17 1999
> savecore: /var/crash/bounds: No such file or directory
> Nov 12 03:38:45 threepio savecore: reboot after panic: alignment fault
> savecore: writing core to /var/crash/netbsd.0.core
> savecore: writing kernel to /var/crash/netbsd.0

"panic: alignment fault" is one of those messages semantically
equivalent to "there is a bug somewhere in the kernel".

the most immediately useful bit of information is the program counter
at the time of the fault, which indicates a particular instruction,
and thus a particular source code line..

> I tried a couple things with gdb but didn't get very far, as I've never
> used gdb on a kernel before. Can somebody point me to a faq or rattle it off
> from memory what I should do to get a stack trace out of the crash
> dump?

# gdb netbsd.0
(gdb) target kcore netbsd.0.core
(gdb) where