Subject: Re: More KDE 1.1.2 build issues on SPARC
To: None <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/06/1999 03:51:45
> Ever using -fpic on the SPARC port was a mistake IMO; we should have
> always used -fPIC and even introduced a warning in the linker for
> -fpic along the lines of "Make sure you know what you're doing" or
> something.  I've never seen those RRS relocation messages for -fpic
> code -- it just failed to work or link.

Just to add to this, I decided to torch all the KDE 1.1.2 stuff I'd built
and am re-building it from scratch - and I still get the RRS relocation
messages anyway.  I hope they're harmless  :)

Anyway, other than the issue with package makes being willing to jump to
depended-upon directories to do sub-makes and seeming not to care that the
version of the package present is not the one it wants/needs, I guess this
is "case closed" ...

Thanks for the -fPIC hint Matthew ...

(Amazing how huge KDE is now ... compile is now up to 5 1/2 hours' running on a
 SPARCstation-20/75 and it hasn't even gotten back to the main "kde" package
 make yet ... )

	- Greg