Subject: Re: documentation on CCD disk devices
To: James Sharp <jsharp@psychoses.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/03/1999 12:14:38
Hi James,

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, James Sharp wrote:
> I'm attempting to set up a 4 drive array using /dev/sd1e thru /dev/sd4e,
> which are 4.2BSD filesystems on 8gb drives.
>
> My /etc/ccd.conf file reads as this:
>
> ccd0    16       none    /dev/sd1e /dev/sd2e /dev/sd3e /dev/sd4e
>
> When I execute ccdconfig -C, I get "WARNING: ccd0: total sector size in
> disklabel (17772630) != the size of ccd (71088150)" in /var/log/messages.
>
> disklabel -r ccd0 reports a SCSI drive with a whole disk c partition and
> an 8gb (17770260 sector) e partition.
>
> newfs'ing /dev/ccd0e results in an 8gb filesystem.

As far as I can see... it reads the ``disklabel'' info of sd1e, but
reports the size of the ccd0 device itself, so giving a `c' partition of
3*8Gb, but a formatted `e' partition of 8Gb.

It might be necissary to write a new disklabel to /dev/ccd0 (or just edit
it by hand :-) ) before `newfs'sing it, giving f.e. one huge partition
`e'. Then it should work I guess...

Keep in mind that I only looked at it since I am planning to do it,
haven't actually done it yet; the discs still make too much noise.

Cheers,

Reinoud