Subject: Re: 1.4K sparc snapshot
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/03/1999 15:53:42
Now that I've got an extra CPU in my ss20 its time to update to
-current.

I figured I'd use pk's 19991024 snapshot and the upgrade script.

I tried using the miniroot but as someone else reported I get

Rebooting with command: disk:b netbsd -s
Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@3,0:b  File and args: netbsd -s
Instruction Access Exception
Type  help  for more information
<#0> ok

INSTALL.txt makes no mention of it but I assume one should boot a
-current kernel before upgrading?  Will it work with a 1.4.x userland?
I'll know in a sec as I'm about to try it... :-)

Nope:

> Rebooting with command: netbsd.new -s
> Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@3,0  File and args: netbsd.new -s
> >> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.8
> >> (pk@flambard, Sat May  8 21:54:06 MEST 1999)
> Booting netbsd.new @ 0x4000
> Bad format
> Program terminated
> Type  help  for more information
> <#0> ok boot -s
> Resetting ...

Upgrade.sh needs kernfs, so, can I get away with building a 1.4.1
kernel with kernfs and running upgrade.sh via that?  I suspect not.

Clues most welcome.

--sjg