Subject: Re: SS2 with working serial console?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/02/1999 19:10:38
> On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 08:07:02AM -0800, James Graham wrote:
>> If you've updated your /etc/rc, there should be a line in there somewhere
>> which reads:
>>
>> 	dmesg - > /var/log/dmesg.boot
>>
>> If it isn't there, you should update your /etc/rc.
>>
>> But I don't think that the banner shows up in the boot messages.
>
> No, it doesn't and the prom version is not printed by boot messages.

Somebody should get Mike Cooper to port his wonderful "sysinfo" to NetBSD.

It already runs on FreeBSD/i386, and it already runs on SunOS 4.1.x/5.x SPARCs,
so it shouldn't be that hard to get it to work on our platform.  (Famous Last
Words, I know.)

Solaris has a "OPROMGETVERSION" ioctl() to get the version info.  It's used
by sysinfo's sunos-obp.c::OBPgetRomVersion() function.  It opens /dev/openprom
and then does the ioctl() to get the info quickly and easily.

Under SunOS 4, sysinfo's os-sunos4.c::GetRomVerSun() marches down the "romp"
vector to grab this information, as far as I can tell.

(Humor aside - grep for "op_magic" in SunOS 4's <mon/openprom.h> or Solaris 2's
 <sys/comvec.h>.)

I would think that somehow this same information could be gotten through the
use of things defined in places like <machine/autoconf.h>, <machine/oldmon.h>,
<machine/bsd_openprom.h> and <machine/openpromio.h> on NetBSD/SPARC systems ...
oui?

	- Greg