Subject: RE: NetBSD on Enterprise 250
To: 'Eric Villiers ' <evillier@free.fr>
From: James Graham <greywolf@captech.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/02/1999 08:21:21
Eduardo Horvath (eeh@netbsd.org) will probably tell you this when he
wakes up :-).

The UltraSPARC stuff is still in progress; at the moment, we are fortunate
that one can use an Ultra1 with a GX card (cgsix) attached; anything
more than that is purely fortuitous if it works.  There are no available
frame buffer drivers for anything better than a cgsix at the moment, so
tcx/zs/ffb/pcx are out of the question.  The PCI code is still in progress
as well (SBus code works, I think).  fas/hme drivers are still in progress.

Lack of hardware and a low time:expertise ratio are contributing to the
sloth of progress (and, to eeh's/mrg's credit, they did a hell of a lot
with the equipment while they had the time with it).

If anyone out there with UltraSPARC 1/2/5/10/30/whatever hardware has
time and the desire to step up to the plate, I'm sure it would be
appreciated.

It is left as an exercise not only to us, but to the XFree86 team as well,
to clean-room the CSL'd sources for other frame buffers (the ones more than
8 bits deep).  I think, mostly, that there is a large group of people who
are just as content to let the demand for this hardware just kind of wither
and die as a workstation/desktop environment and relegate it to the server
world, which is a pity.  I have a Ultra1 with a 24-bit accelerated card in
it that I'd much rather was running NetBSD than Solaris.

Unfortunately, I fall into the category of low time and zero expertise in
porting stuff to different hardware (I'm a system apps kinda lupine),
otherwise
I'd help.

				--*greywolf;