Subject: Re: Serial console on SS2 under 1.4.1?
To: None <jonl@kudra.yubyub.net>
From: Harald Barth <haba@pdc.kth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/02/1999 09:32:53
> Hmmm... I'm using a DEC vt320 here, so I'm not sure.  Let's me do
> this out loud... the vt320 is DCE (AFAIK), and so is the SS; that's why I
> have to use a null modem.

The vt320 is a DTE with a male connector. All digital terminals are that.
There are terminals around with female DTE, but most terminals are DTE
as the T in DTE stands for Terminal.

The Sun is (as a lot of computers are) DTE, too. But with a female
connector. Would it had been sold by digital, it would have been
male.

Most modems are DCE and have a female connector. The C stands for
Control and of course you control your computer with a modem ;-)

So your computer and your terminal are of the same kind (DTE) - that's
why your crossed (null modem) cable works.

Your setup:

Computer(DTE)--RS232---(DCE)Null-modem-cable(DCE)---RS232--(DTE)VTxxx

or as the stupid DCE/DTE stuff was all about from the beginning:

Computer(DTE)--RS232---(DCE)Modem--telephoneline--Modem(DCE)---RS232--(DTE)VTxxx

To compilicate things a bit more, some Suns (the ones with A/B text
under the RS232 connector) have a second terminal line on the normally
unused pins in the same connector. The second (ttyb) line can be
accessed by a special Y-cable. These are available from Sun or can be
homebuilt. There should be a pinout at the URL below. There might be
a newer FAQ somewhere else on the net.

http://wugate.wustl.edu/~rachelle/sunhwfaq.html

> > Should I use RTS/CTS? Which speed should I use?
> Usually they are 9600, N, 8, 1.

Yes, Most Suns want RTS/CTS.

Harald.