Subject: Re: Serial console on SS2 under 1.4.1?
To: None <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: jonl <jonl@kudra.yubyub.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/01/1999 19:44:27
> > This is a problem under 1.4.1 with some prom revisions (AFAIK).  I had the
> > same problem on my sparc 2.  The solution is a custom kernel, hacked to
> > force a given serial port to be the console.  I have such a kernel
> > (GENERIC) - if you'd like, I can set it up for ftp or http.
>
> Yes please.

The kernel is available via anonymous ftp at ftp.yubyub.net as:

/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4.1/sparc/netbsd.GENERIC_SS2_CONSOLE

Please let me know if it helps you at all.

> David Brownlee seemed to give me most of what I need, but I still
> need one more piece of information: Which type of serial cable
> would I need to hook it up to a PC?

Hmmm... I'm using a DEC vt320 here, so I'm not sure.  Let's me do
this out loud... the vt320 is DCE (AFAIK), and so is the SS; that's why I
have to use a null modem.

That's my guess.

> Is the SS2 a DCE or a DTE? Does it have a standard RS-232 pinout?
> Should I use RTS/CTS? Which speed should I use?

Usually they are 9600, N, 8, 1.  The port is indeed a standard rs232c
output.

> And the last thing is: Why isn't this documented in FAQ or elsewhere
> on the 'Net? At least I haven't been able to find anything other
> than a comment that it can be set up with a serial console.

Hopefully this will happen soon.  There are a number of things which I am
hoping to have done to the FAQ, and the console section is one of them.

> FYI I have a 501-1912 main board, 64 MB RAM, cgsix frame buffer and
> a 2.1 GB Quantum FireBall harddrive.

Excellent - if you have anymore part numbers, please throw them my way -
I'm planning on indexing some and making it easier for people to say "Yes
- NetBSD will run on this!"

-Jon