Subject: Re: Serial console on SS2 under 1.4.1?
To: jonl <jonl@kudra.yubyub.net>
From: Kjetil B Thomassen <kjetilbt@thomassen.priv.no>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/01/1999 10:48:15
On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, jonl wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > 	Hmm - have you pulled the framebuffer, tried 'set-defaults', and
> > 	tried setting the input-device and output-device again?
> > 	I have a sparc2 here running 1.4 on serial console OK (well, its
> > 	some way away, but I have a spiderport I can use to break into
> > 	the prom :)
>
> This is a problem under 1.4.1 with some prom revisions (AFAIK).  I had the
> same problem on my sparc 2.  The solution is a custom kernel, hacked to
> force a given serial port to be the console.  I have such a kernel
> (GENERIC) - if you'd like, I can set it up for ftp or http.

Yes please.

I recently acquired an SS2 with ROM Rev. 2.4.1, and I am currently
running 1.4 and I am also about to set up a serial console on this
box as I do not have a proper monitor for my frame buffer at home.

David Brownlee seemed to give me most of what I need, but I still
need one more piece of information: Which type of serial cable
would I need to hook it up to a PC?

Is the SS2 a DCE or a DTE? Does it have a standard RS-232 pinout?
Should I use RTS/CTS? Which speed should I use?

And the last thing is: Why isn't this documented in FAQ or elsewhere
on the 'Net? At least I haven't been able to find anything other
than a comment that it can be set up with a serial console.

FYI I have a 501-1912 main board, 64 MB RAM, cgsix frame buffer and
a 2.1 GB Quantum FireBall harddrive.

NetBSD is not new to me as I am/have been running it on an Acorn
Risc PC (arm32) and i386.

Any help is very welcome!

TIA!

If I can assist in testing fixes to this problem, just throw code
at me, and I will do my best to test it.

I plan to set this box up with current via SUP.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil@thomassen.priv.no
http://home.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/