Subject: Re: a silly question
To: URA Hiroshi <ura@hiru.aoba.yokohama.jp>
From: None <patl@phoenix.volant.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/12/1999 12:30:13
On 12-Oct-99 at 09:16, URA Hiroshi (ura@hiru.aoba.yokohama.jp) wrote:
> I have no sparc with the CD-ROM drive with 2048Kbytes sectors so that
> I can't try to boot NetBSD from the CD-ROM dirve. but I heard my friend
> that his IPX could boot NetBSD from the 2048Kb-only CD-ROM drive
> without other medium, such as floppy and tape.

Hmm.  Sun may have expanded the capabilities of the ROM monitor
once a bootable CD-ROM spec was standardized.  But remember that
the SS2 is older than the IPX; so even if the IPX can do it, the
SS2 might not be able to.  (Or it might depend on ROM revision.)

Exactly which models and/or ROM revisions support booting from
2048-byte-only CD-ROMS would be a very useful item for one of
the FAQs.

-Pat