Subject: Re: How to build a boot floopy?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/04/1999 11:29:31
Hi Greywolf,

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Greywolf wrote:

> I'm attempting to build a boot floopy using the INSTALL kernel as
> a template, and I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1.  Why in the *world* is this kernel so damn big?  2.7M vs 1.6M...

Well, because it has a installation memorydisk image in it ?? A complete
filingsystem with /bin, /sbin/, /etc, /var etc. + installation program...

> 2.  How do I get a root filesystem in there?

It's allready in the installation kernel :-). It's different to Linux in
this way. I find it more convenient this way!

> 3.  What else needs to be done?  I assume this is a SSTO floppy,
> 	more or less, vs. the DSTO set we used to use (am I wrong?).

??? what is a SSTO/DSTO ?? When you have the boot-floppies, you can
install the stuff with `sysinst' (starts up automatically).

> 4.  This should probably be question #2:  Is there a document on this
> 	anywhere?  (I must be blind -- I can't seem to find one).

Err.. try the install notes on the web-page. You can find it in the sparc
port page..

ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4/sparc/INSTALL.html

Cheers,

Reinoud