Subject: Re: solaris sources
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Lloyd Parkes <lloyd@geo.vuw.ac.nz>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/04/1999 09:34:14
On  1 Oct, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
> Of course the trick is learning how the hardware works and then
> forgetting the solaris code.

That shouldn't be necessary. I used the Linux source as (one of the
pieces of) documentation while writing my LiveWire/MACE ethernet driver.
The Linux PCMCIA support (and kernel in general) is structured
sufficiently differently from the NetBSD one that I could not copy any
of the code even if I had wanted to. I don't see any similarities
between the goals of the NetBSD Foundation and Sun, so it is quite
likely that the OSes will not come close to being kernel source
compatible.

Cheers
--
Lloyd Parkes, Network Manager, School of Earth Sciences
Victoria University of Wellington