Subject: Re: solaris sources
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@captech.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/01/1999 08:34:47
On Fri, 1 Oct 1999 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

# seems Sun is making solaris sources available, but any changes have to be
# given to them.  Still, it may help in determining how certain hardware
# works.  Of course the trick is learning how the hardware works and then
# forgetting the solaris code.

This is an absolute BOON, CSL or no.  For hardware stuffs, I think
once we know addresses, someone can start speaking in pseudocode
(i.e.  "fbb graphics addresses are here; here's the specs on the
initialisation; here's the specs on output and mapping (roughly);
and here's the pseudocode on the open()/ioctl()/read()/write()").

...and we can start clean-rooming it.

				--*greywolf;
--
I'm really a software toolsmith and a musician by trade, but nobody really
needs a software toolsmith much, and the music industry is so cutthroat