Subject: Re: your mail
To: Grey Wolf <greywolf@captech.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/29/1999 10:04:23
On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Grey Wolf wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, matthew green wrote:
>
> #
> #    Is there an up-to-date list of the state of the sparc64 port anywhere?
> #
> # did you look at the web page?  last i knew, it was up-to-date.
>
> It looked pretty sparse, and the last available snapshot is from
> 19 January of this year.

It's not easy to build a snapshot when your compiler dumps core every
other file 8^).

> #    Specifically, does hme work yet?
> #
> # hme sbus driver exists but probably doesn't work;  i haven't yet had
> # a chance to look at what pk added yet...
>
> Okay, I guess I'll wait then.  My u1 doesn't have an le in it -- it
> has an hme.
>
> "Happy Meal Ethernet".   heh.  That's just too funny.  I wonder why
> they called it that.

"BigMac" is the quad ethernet.  "Happy Meal" is an ASIC with an ethernet
controller along with a bunch of other things.  I thing the FAS366 is also
in that chip.

> # ultra1 is the best supported hardware so far (it is what eeh has),
> # though the LANCE ethernet has problems (if this was fixed, the ultra1
> # support would be pretty much complete, sans non-essential support
> # ... stuff like audio, etc) ...

Audio sort-of works (modulo a great deal of noise).

> The audio is just the DBRI stuff, isn't it?  Hasn't that happened yet?
> I mean it's what the ss5/10/20 use (lx as well IIRC), right?
> I thought for certain it had.  Damn, that sounds demanding, doesn't it?
> Not meant to; sorry!

Audio is the CS4231.

> I combed that web page but there's not a lot there except to say that
> the USPARC port is still experimental.  I noted that there is no port-
> sparc64; I suppose there's no reason for that, really, since SPARC
> is SPARC, more or less (modulo the periphery), but it still seems
> different enough to me that it warrants a separate discussion.

Doesn't seem to be enough bandwidth to justify a separate list yet 8^).

Progress may seem slow, but that's because there aren't a lot of people
working on it.  And I don't think either of the two of us have all that
much time available to dedicate to the project.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me