Subject: Re: your mail
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Grey Wolf <greywolf@captech.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/28/1999 10:10:08
On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, matthew green wrote:

#
#    Is there an up-to-date list of the state of the sparc64 port anywhere?
#
# did you look at the web page?  last i knew, it was up-to-date.

It looked pretty sparse, and the last available snapshot is from
19 January of this year.

#    Specifically, does hme work yet?
#
# hme sbus driver exists but probably doesn't work;  i haven't yet had
# a chance to look at what pk added yet...

Okay, I guess I'll wait then.  My u1 doesn't have an le in it -- it
has an hme.

"Happy Meal Ethernet".   heh.  That's just too funny.  I wonder why
they called it that.

# ultra1 is the best supported hardware so far (it is what eeh has),
# though the LANCE ethernet has problems (if this was fixed, the ultra1
# support would be pretty much complete, sans non-essential support
# ... stuff like audio, etc) ...

The audio is just the DBRI stuff, isn't it?  Hasn't that happened yet?
I mean it's what the ss5/10/20 use (lx as well IIRC), right?
I thought for certain it had.  Damn, that sounds demanding, doesn't it?
Not meant to; sorry!

I combed that web page but there's not a lot there except to say that
the USPARC port is still experimental.  I noted that there is no port-
sparc64; I suppose there's no reason for that, really, since SPARC
is SPARC, more or less (modulo the periphery), but it still seems
different enough to me that it warrants a separate discussion.

If I knew more about internals and such, I'd be willing to glean
all the necessary information of the Linux drivers and forward it
to someone who knows how to make use of such information so that
we could clean-room it and have a working port.

I posted my question because of the lack of the separate mailing list
as well as lack of any other information.  No news is not good news
to me when I'm looking for something.

Thanks for the update, matthew.

				--*greywolf;
--