Subject: Re: SS10 / -current problem - more details
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/26/1999 13:08:16
>>> If you load this patch and set the term-type to sun-ss5, you will
>>> have output much faster than RASTERCONSOLE can deliver on a cg6.
>> But I'll also be stuck with gallant.r.19.  One of the main benefits
>> of RASTERCONSOLE for me is that I get a decently small font.
> Hm.  I can't stand the fixed 6x13, myself, and the scrollback rate
> using RASTERCONSOLE on a cg6 is abominable, to me.

Fortunately I tend to spend most of my time in X.  Admittedly, when I
use the console, I tend to use "clear" often, to avoid scrolling. :)

> De gustibus non est disputantum. (disputatum?)

I learned it as "disputandum".  I am not Latinist enough to tell which,
of any, is right.

> But in reference to both of us getting that salmon colour on the
> console, this means that the kernel would explicitly have to
> construct a colourmap which, currently, it does not for a cg6 (the
> colours get drawn from the same palette that the banner image uses).

I was using the console just half an hour ago, and not only does the
text come up in salmon, the cursor is green.  Probably being drawn by
flipping entire bytes rather than just the bit used by text.

This is actually useful when using window(1), since it makes it
possible to tell which window's cursor is the "real cursor" and which
are inverse video spaces drawn by window to look like cursors.

I'd happily trade it for text of the colors I specified in the kernel
config. :-)  (I suppose in this respect we're no worse off than SunOS,
which also uses whatever happens to be lying around in the colormap.)

Oh, for docs...there's no reason in principle wscons on the cgsix
couldn't use the GX hardware; it just needs documentation.  (If the
doco is available and it just needs someone to sit down and code it,
well, tell me where I can get the docs! :)

> Is there a way to replace that nice neat little 256-colour image with
> a different one?

Yes; I've seen it done.

> I'd like to have a daemon in mine...oh, wait, that's forth code, and
> apparently the image is somehow forth instructions...

There are presumably the oem-logo and oem-logo? nvram properties.
Unfortunately their format is not documented AFAIK (presumably unless
you're an OEM).  Poking around with see in the "banner" word might do
something useful.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca