Subject: Re: SS10 / -current problem - more details
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/24/1999 13:36:53
> Just chiming in to note that I saw the same thing on my
> SparcClassic/cgthree with a RASTERCONSOLE-enabled kernel.  I also
> noticed video glitches appearing on the screen continuously, as if
> the machine was in a tight loop accessing the framebuffer memory...

> I took the RASTERCONSOLE option out and obtained a stable system
> again.

As one more data point, I recently bought two IPXes, which of course
included the onboard GX framebuffer ("cgsix0 at sbus0 slot 3 offset 0x0
level 7: SUNW,501-1672, 1152 x 900, rev 8").

The first kernel I booted on them was actually designed for a
serial-console machine (an ELC I'm running headless), so it had no
RASTERCONSOLE, using the ROM routines for console I/O.  And when I
exited vi on this console, the screen went bonkers, fragments of text
flickering all over.  Typing RETURN a couple of times calmed it down; I
then had a totally scrambled screen with a perfectly usable prompt, and
if I continued working the garbage scrolled off the scrolling area.

I built and booted a RASTERCONSOLE-emabled kernel and have had no
further problems.  (Well, none of that sort; I do have a problem with
the colormap, but I haven't yet investigated enough to feel it worth
sending a note out about it.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca