Subject: Re: Solaris (2.6) emulation on tadpole (-current)
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/21/1999 13:26:06
In article <37E73B75.85688CAB@italy.sun.com>,
Giorgio Richelli <giorgio.richelli@italy.sun.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>I am trying to convince a tadpole (3TX) to successfully run solaris
>binaries.
>I setup everything as indicated in the manpage (compat_svr4), fetching
>the shared libraries from machines running solaris 2.5.1, 2.6 and 7.
>The best setup seems to be 2.6, where I am able to run some simple
>binaries (such as ls).
>On most of the other executables, however, the first run of anything
>corrupted or truncated.
>Then, on subsequent attempts, the message complain about the library
>being of an unknown type.
>
>A ktruss indicates that the program exits after mmapping the library,
>but the return value from the syscall seems reasonable (and the same
>returned on a successful execution of a solaris "ls").
>
>Any idea?
>Thanks in advance,

Yes, a bug has been introduced that affects svr4 binary emulation after
the conversion to ELF. There is a PR open for this and we are looking into
it. If you really, really want that to work, you will need to revert to
an a.out system until then. Yes, I know this sucks, unfortunately I have
been unable to find why things broke.

christos