Subject: continuing perplexity with FTP install via miniroot
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Craig Dewick <cdewick@lios.apana.org.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/17/1999 13:18:53
Hi everyone,

Those of you who've been watching my messages about getting NetBSD onto my
Sparc 5 will know what's going on, but since I haven't been able to figure
out a solution (other than going right back to the beginning and setting
up for a 'diskless' installation using NFS-mounted filesystems), here's a
bit more of an explanation...

I formatted and partitioned the new disk under a single-user SunOS boot
off the Sun CD-ROM on the Sparc 5, then pulled the drive out, dropped it
into my Sparc 20 and dd'd the NetBSD miniroot onto the new disk. I then
put the disk back into the SS5, booted the miniroot and commenced the
installation process.

I've got as far as telling the install phase what directory to look at on
this machine to find the gzipped tarballs which need to be copied over and
extracted locally on the SS5.

However, this is the sticking point...

I type in the directory name, it gets put inside the square brackets as
the default. I type '?' to get a remote directory listing and this proves
that the FTP access is working. How do I go on to the next step? I can't
for the life of me work out out to get past the

Server Directory? [pathname]

prompt and continue with the installation after I've actually typed in a
directory name?

So, how do I get past this point and get on with actually pulling over the
tarballs that need to be gunzipped and extracted?

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Dewick. Send email to "cdewick@lios.apana.org.au"