Subject: Re: installing on raw system
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
From: Craig Dewick <cdewick@lios.apana.org.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/15/1999 22:46:46
Hi Greg,

> If the SS20 only has one disk, stick the SS5's SCA disk into the SS20, bring
> the SS20 down, boot it single-user, do the miniroot install by dd'ing it into
> the SS20 disk's swap space, then reboot with the miniroot and run "sysinst"
> and tell it to do the install onto your fresh new SS5 SCA disk.   You'll get
> the chance to disklabel the new fresh disk in the process.
>
> How do I know this will work?   Because that's exactly what I did to bring up
> the system I'm typing this on.  I bought a 9 Gb Barracuda SCA disk for my
> home SS20, and I took it into work, slapped it into my office SS20, and did
> the above procedure.  Works like a champ.

Ok, I tried this more or less successfully, but I've come up against a
snag once I was able to get the miniroot running - no filesystems could be
created on the new disk because of SCSI driver timeouts. I tried several
different incantations but the same result occured every time.

So I've now put the disk back into the SS5 and run up the miniroot I
loaded while it was in the SS20 and it's having no problems at all
creating the filesystems. I don't understand why this step was failing on
the SS20, but perhaps the presence of the other disk might have been
tripping something in the esp driver?

Regards,

Craig.

--