Subject: Re: installing on raw system
To: None <cdewick@lios.apana.org.au>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/15/1999 04:27:08

> This might seem like a common question, but the install instructions are not
> covering the area I'm having difficulty grasping...
>
> I have a Sparcstation 5 with a new 4.5 gig SCA disk and some RAM which I
> want to install NetBSD on.
>
> I have FTP'd all of the required gzipped tarballs, etc. for the 1.4.1
> release, and they currently live on this machine (my Sparc 20 running SunOS
> 5.6).
>
> How do I install NetBSD onto the SS-5 using the gzipped tarballs and all the
> installation files that I've FTP's?  I'd prefer to use the miniroot option,
> but that's not possible since the disk in the Sparc 5 has nothing on it.

Sure it is.

The SS5 disk is a SCA.

Your SS20 disk is a SCA.

Do the math.   :-)

If the SS20 only has one disk, stick the SS5's SCA disk into the SS20, bring
the SS20 down, boot it single-user, do the miniroot install by dd'ing it into
the SS20 disk's swap space, then reboot with the miniroot and run "sysinst"
and tell it to do the install onto your fresh new SS5 SCA disk.   You'll get
the chance to disklabel the new fresh disk in the process.

How do I know this will work?   Because that's exactly what I did to bring up
the system I'm typing this on.  I bought a 9 Gb Barracuda SCA disk for my
home SS20, and I took it into work, slapped it into my office SS20, and did
the above procedure.  Works like a champ.

	- Greg