Subject: Re: installing on raw system
To: Craig Dewick <cdewick@lios.apana.org.au>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/15/1999 11:24:55
Craig Dewick wrote:
> I have booted SunOS in single-user mode on the SS-5 so I could format and
> partition the disk, since there is no other obvious method available. Now
> the disk in the SS-5 is labelled, but all the filesystems are still
> uninitialised and empty.

As you have SunOS on the SS-5, can you not dd the miniroot into the swap
partition and then boot from that, as mentioned in the INSTALL document?

> The only method of installing NetBSD onto the SS-5's disk looks like being
> the diskless-setup option with the miniroot loading from an NFS-mounted
> location on this machine. I've set up diskless Xterminals before, but I've
> never done an install remotely...

When I did an NFS install for a 3/80, I found the `diskless' manual page
useful to refer to.  If you don't have an existing NetBSD system, you can
get this from :

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release/src/share/man/man8/diskless.8

                         Of course it runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/