Subject: Re: dead sparc IPC/IPX power supply
To: John Refling <johnr@imageworks.com>
From: myers <myers@iname.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/13/1999 16:51:01
> Anybody know how to fix this???  I suffers from the symptom
> of most failed switching power supplies --- it tries to switch
> on, then clicks off with an audiable CLICK almost immediately.

Okay, but it might simply be overloaded.  I got the same symptoms once
when I tried putting a 7200 RPM disk drive in a Sparc 2 -- it drew too
much amperage at start-up, so the power supply balked.  Moving the disk to
an external SCSI box has worked fine for a year.

Those things are only like 60 watts, as compared to 200 watts or more in
most PCs.

-David.