Subject: Re: SBUs Ethernet card problem
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/13/1999 10:12:54
> le0 at ledma0 slot 5 offset 0x8c00000 level 6: address 00:80:42:0b:3c:90
> le0: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers
> le1 at sbus0 slot 2 offset 0xc00000 level 7: address 00:80:42:0b:3c:90
> le1: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers

> Setup proposed the 10Base5 as only availanle media type

This strikes me as a bug; I've never seen a card that's got a
10base5-specific interface.  Everything from that era uses AUI, which
is not media-specific; it really should be saying AUI, which is not
strictly a media type but is about as close to a media type as one can
get.

> By the way: It is possible to assign another MAC address to the
> second interface (if it works :-)) because our switches get problems
> having the same HW address on two switch ports.

In principle, yes; the driver loads the mac address into the card at
boot time, and it could be made to load a different address.  If I've
managed to follow the twisty turnings of the code, this is done in
am7990_meminit, but to change the address I'd recommend diddling with
the myetheraddr() call in dev/sbus/if_le.c for a quick hack.  I haven't
thought about it enough to be sure what I'd suggest for a real fix.

I'd also say your switch is broken, unless you're putting both
interfaces on the same vlan.  Ethernet MAC addresses have always been
specified as unique per-host, not per-interface.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca