Subject: Getting a SS10 clone ready for NetBSD
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/11/1999 14:28:10
Hi, folks.  I've got a SS10 clone that I want to install NetBSD on, but
I'm having some difficulty getting past square one.  The clone is a
"Super Workstation X/51".  The board reads "SS10 REV B" and pretty
closely matches the description of a SS10 in the Sun hardware FAQ (one
of the 3-pin serial voltage jumpers seems to be oriented differently
than the FAQ suggests).

I've got a serial cable plugged into the DB-25 and power, with nothing
else connected.  There is a floppy drive, video card (I've tried without
this as well), and a hard drive installed.

When I boot, I see the following on the serial port (on port A; port B
is not wired) whether or not the video board is installed:

     ERROR : Address = e0000000, exp = 0100001a, obs = 0300001a, xor = 02000000
     U-NUMBER : U0101 disk0 isn't unique
disk isn't unique

There is a delay of several seconds before I get the disk messages.
I can't get any other response through the serial port.  I can't
seem to get to a PROM prompt at all.  I believe that the last time
the machine was booted, it had a keyboard and video on it.  I assumed
that it would shift to the serial console with no keyboard attached.
My experience with sparcs is rather limited...

Does anyone know what's going on or have any suggestions?

Thanks,
-allen