Subject: Re: ELC power?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: None <Doug.Jackson@ipaustralia.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/10/1999 09:09:02
To:   der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
cc:   port-sparc@netbsd.org

Wa hoo...

Well Done.    BTW, the sense lines are a feedback path to the power supply (in
the ELC) to ensure that the 5V is really 5V at the card, not at the PSU output.
It was designed in (in the old days) to allow for connector / cable losses.
Cutting the off was a good move.

If you are patient enough to extend the keyboard and mouse connectors, I am
farily sure that the RCA connector on the 'small' board carries a full composite
video signal.  Worst case, you will find the v.sync, and h.sync signals on the
other small connector on the 'small' board.  These can all be extended to the
back case, and you will find that a sun monitor will be able to be connected.

In my experience, I would not actually bother, as itis a pure black and white
outout.

I actually use my ELC, as a sun host, and use a FreeBSD PC as a X windows
server.  (you get sun binary compatibility, and a color display for
approximately zero dollars).  I can net boot NetBSD, but I have a need to run a
commercial package that really needs a slowaris OS. (just lets me mirror my work
environment)

Doug

der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> on 10/09/99 04:11:28 am