Subject: Re: Serial ports not responding on a Tadpole
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Dennis Taylor <dennis@funkplanet.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/09/1999 16:30:58
On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 10:27:06AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Have other folks gotten tadpole serial ports working? The zs driver
> just assumes the chip is where it's told it is - it doesn't actually
> look at the hardware before attaching. So having the driver attach
> doesn't mean the hardware address is right. :-)

	This occurred to me, too, which is why I checked the addresses
out from the PROM prompt. Looks identical.

ok  cd /obio
ok  ls
[...]
ffd32dd8 zs@0,0
ffd32d24 zs@0,100000

	dmesg says they're on slot 0, offsets 0 and 100000... looks
good to me. I haven't a clue why it's not getting a carrier detect
from the plugged-in device, but I'm leaning more and more towards the
hardware damage theory. In a couple weeks, I'll be able to swap in a
hard drive from a friend who's running Solaris on his Tadpole and see
if it's just an OS problem. Until then, without support for the
internal modem or PCMCIA, it's kind of a doorstop. Oh, well.

Dennis Taylor           "Anyone whose days are all the same and free from
dennis@funkplanet.com    want inhabits eternity of a sort."  - Peter Hoeg
   PGP Fingerprint: E8D6 9670 4FBD EEC3 6C6B  810B 2B30 E529 51BD 7B90