Subject: Re: ELC power?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/09/1999 14:11:28
> After trying to rapair the PSU's on a number of occasions, I gave up,
> and spent $30 (aus) on a standard PC power supply.

I too can - now - verify that this works Just Fine.  I cut the
connector off the (now-dead) ELC power supply, opened up a handy peecee
power supply, and soldered the connector into place (ground, +5, -5,
+12, -12).  Note to anyone contemplating doing this: the ELC power
supply - at least the one I worked with - includes two pins marked "+5
SENCE" and "-5 SENCE" (presumably whoever did the lettering for the
board couldn't spell).  I left these wires unconnected with no ill
effects apparent.  There was also a wire connected to a point marked
"LED GND"; following the etch runs indicated this was connected to the
other two ground wires, so I soldered all three to the power supply's
ground output point.

I now have an ELC that can run headless.  If I were to connect a
keyboard, I imagine it would run headed, just without video.  It might
even be possible to connect the video up to something, but I haven't
experimented with that.

The fear that the serial-line drivers were fried by feeding them 20
volts appears to have been just that, a fear.  They show no sign of
trouble, though admittedly I haven't stressed them.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca